There’s quite a handful of things I want to mention tonight, so I’m writing this ferverishly in the hopes that I do not forget them all. First, I just watched this movie called Breakaway on CBC. It was basically like Bend It Like Beckham (it even had the same guy playing the disapproving Indian dad!) but set in Canada with hockey instead of soccer and a guy instead of a girl main character, and even a female character about to get married. It was a pretty good movie, but not as good as BILB. Although Russell Peters was in there, so…have I mentioned I love foreign movies? Not in a while.
Secondly, I’ve been meaning to share my new favorite song of the moment – Desperate by Fireflight. It’s played on one or two of my Pandora stations in the past few weeks and I finally remembered to add it to my faves on Youtube yesterday. Here’s the video, which btw, I find matches perfectly with the way the song works, synesthetically. Plus, that lead singer chick? Breathtakingly gorgeous. I’d tap that to the moon and back. And she has a very beautiful, youthful voice. God, I can’t get enough of this song. It feels so good on my tongue.
Also, I don’t remember what I was doing on Youtube today, but somehow I came across another awesome slam poet, Carvens Lissaint. I initially watched him perform a poem entitled “Tell Them” which was beautiful and provided me with the excellent quotation “I was one who never spoke unless it improved on silence.” He had me there. But then I watched this video, Beauty Part 3. And I was like damn. That’s good shit. I cried along with him. I have no other words except WATCH THIS.
Oh, by the way, it’s Easter or something, so Happy Easter! I melted the wax off my eggs today and took pictures (the best of which are over on Vivography). Here is my favorite set, the most elaborate of them. The red one is the multi-angle symmetrical one I was talking about last night.
Also, remember how I said I would try that poetry challenge this month as well? Well, I’ve been keeping up. Today I actually wrote one that A. was not written at like, midnight and B. was not my usual style of poetry. I like it enough that I wanted to share it:
This is a song,
It is a ballad
Cause in this life
Every fuckin’ moment’s valid.
With every step you take
With every word you spake
And sheet you bake
You breathe the air of cruel intentions
Of pissed people
Of lovers here
Of lovers there
Every moment, some here, somewhere
You look for refuge
In a crowded plain
Hope to see that face again
If only for a moment past
Erecting shadows so quick
Yet you’ll never get that satisfaction
To grasp their hair
To feel the passion
Cause that valid moment was
A hope for things long gone because…
Because you dared enough to show them
You dared to hand over your heart
And that’s what tore you two apart
That you dared,
Exposed your feelings
And in that moment you trusted them
That they would give them back again
That they would care the same way
That you did.
But how foolish
To believe such tragic lies
That your brain had told your eyes
That your heart couldn’t despise
Your body didn’t recognize…
You were wrong.
But that moment’s valid.
It lives on the wings of a thousand larks,
It paints a picture
So dark, so stark
And maybe next time you will get it,
Cause this ballad’s gone and said it.
Aaaand finally, Day 8: What are 5 passions you have?
1. UNDERWEAR. I’ve said it before, and I’m not joking. I. LOVE. underwear.
2. Art. I consider myself, before all things, an artist. I have always been an artist. I loved art from the very first time my mom taught me how to draw a clown, from the first time I laid my hands on clay, from the very first time I drew a number 2 based on the way a swan looked. I strive to immerse myself in art at all possible moments. Because art is one of the most important things in the world to me. It is expression, it is love, it is life.
3. Poetry. I discovered about a decade ago that poetry was an excellent way to voice my emotions. Poetry was my outlet when I was depressed years ago, an outlet when no one understood me, an outlet when I was happy to the point of rhythmic verbal expression. This month’s poetry challenge is helping me reconnect with that original attraction to this art form.
4. Fashion. Yeah, cliche. Whatever. I’m a highly visual person. Yes, I do judge you by how you look. Yes, I do dress “unusually” sometimes, and yes, I do have gay friends who happen to also be studying the same field as me. But most importantly, I love everything fashion embodies. From boring vanilla shit to S&M and Lady Gaga crazy shit. Fashion is more than itself. It transcends into art and as I said above, that’s kind of what I live for.
5. Love. If you’ve been following me long enough, you know I struggle with this area in my life, like, a lot. Not because I don’t give enough love, but probably because I give too much. I feel like it flows out of me like Niagara Falls and yet, no one seems to want to fill their cup with it. I’ve been dancing a perpetual love/lust dance all my life. Yes, I’m young. Yes, there’s time to find ‘true love’. But sometimes your brain shakes itself up a bit and says ‘HEY LET’S GET HOT AND HEAVY FOR THIS PERSON‘ and with me, it never works out like my brain wants it to. But my greatest folly (or asset, however you want to look at it) is that I am perpetually hopeful and optimistic about love. Cheers to ‘maybe this time’!