Day 2: Top 10 Favorite Movies (in somewhat numerical order)
1. Amadeus – I have yet to find anyone that understands just how much I love this movie, aside from the person who introduced it to me: my mom. And even she doesn’t quite love it as much as I do. I’ve seen this movie a grotesque amount of times and it still never gets old. It’s my go-to movie. There’s just everything to love and nothing to hate about it.
2. Elizabeth – Like Amadeus, I have also yet to find anyone who is more enamored or equally as enamored as I am with this movie. I can’t even explain how much I adore this movie. Nobody has ever been better suited for this role than Cate Blanchett and I will stand by this statement for the rest of my life.
3. Tristan & Isolde – When I feel like watching a good romantic movie, this is one of my go-to’s. It’s a beautiful real life love story, before Romeo and Juliet, and in Ireland. It yields one of my favorite quotes of all time: “I don’t know if life is greater than death, but love was more than either.”
4. Merlin – The funny thing about almost all of the movies on this list is that my mom introduced me to them. This has been a long-time favorite, from when I was about 10 years old. This movie has always enchanted me. Miranda Richardson as Queen Mab and the Lady of the Lake is just, agh, no words. That woman is flawless.
5. Pan’s Labyrinth – As I mentioned yesterday, I fucking love foreign films. This one is sort of foreign. At least, it’s all in Spanish. And it’s fucking amazing. Guillermo del Toro is a fucking genius.
6. Rent – As I also mentioned yesterday, I fucking love musicals. Rent is pretty much one of my all-time favorite musicals. It always makes me cry. It always makes me sing. But best of all, it always makes me feel like I have a purpose in life.
7. Blood Diamond – This was a movie that I think I asked my mom to buy me when it came out and I didn’t watch it until about 2 years ago or so. I should’ve watched it sooner because FUCK that movie is SO GOOD. Leonardo DiCaprio is an amazing actor. And this movie makes me cry every single time. If you haven’t guessed by now, I love crying at movies.
8. Memoirs of A Geisha – I’m pretty sure I cry when I watch this movie as well. It’s so good though! I remember when it came out and there was so much hype about it and I just brushed it off like PAH fuck that. But then I watched it. And I was like goddamnit, instant favorite.
9. Schindler’s List – I remember having to watch this movie several times throughout my k-12 years and always being pretty happy when we did. I never got sick of it. I continually find it to be a fantastic movie and it continues to stand the test of time.
10. Titanic – I mean, come on. Need I say more?
Honorable mentions that I also consider as part of my “top 10”:
– Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love
– Jodhaa Akbar
– Inglourious Basterds
– A Walk to Remember
– The Girl with the Pearl Earring
– The King’s Speech
– Transformers Trilogy
– Lord of the Rings Trilogy
– Harry Potter Series
– The Chronicles of Narnia Trilogy
– The Chronicles of Riddick
– Finding Nemo
– Million Dollar Baby
– Music of the Heart
– Match Point
– Gran Torino
– A Knight’s Tale
– Billy Elliot
– Hellboy I & II
– The Reader
– Revolutionary Road
– 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
– Slumdog Millionaire
– Food, Inc.
– My Big Fat Greek Wedding
– Step Brothers
– Napolean Dynamite
– Rebel Without A Cause
– Some Like It Hot
Aaaand I’ve spent too much time crafting this post.