I’ve had this window open for at least an hour in an effort to get myself to write. In the middle of page like, 100, on my Tumblr dash, I finally said fuck it, let’s do this. It’s 10:30, it’s about damn time.
Let me start off by saying I updated Vivography today, so go check it out to see what’s new. But that’s not what’s important. What’s important is that one of the commentators on today’s post seems to run a rather awesome feminist blog that led me to this amazing video of Katie Makkai reciting the slam poem ‘Pretty’. Which led me onwards to other slam poetry and I happened to discover the amazingness that is Andrea Gibson.
She’s a lesbian poet with the most fantastic arsenal of verbiage. People like her inspire me to try harder in fucking everything! She also swears enough to satisfy my quota of “fucks” in one day. (That’s not to say I’m one of those people who doesn’t know how to carry a sentence without swearing, but every now and then you just need the proverbial FUCK in there to make a point a little more clear.) Regardless, I want to be her best friend. I want to listen to her speak in poems all day long. Actually, I want someone to write poems about me in general, in case you were wondering. I write poems about various people (or to them, as never-delivered letters of emotion) all the time. I’d love to have that happen to me too.
I really love the poem in the video. I think she did a good job of portraying the crude injustices homosexual people have to endure, but on a very personal level. I think it’s absolutely terrible that anyone should be shunted from a dying person’s bed because they’re gay. I mean…where does mentality like that come from? Who’s idea is it to deny a person these beautiful privileges because of their sexual orientation? That seems like such an archaic way of though. I often find myself thinking that this world is so incredibly fucking fucked up that it doesn’t even realize how fucked up it is. Of course, that’s not to say that there are not people out that such as myself who see these things too and agree with me – because I know there are. I make an effort to surround myself with those people because I’d probably be suicidal in a sea of narrow-minded idiots.
Funny enough, a friend posted this on Facebook and it’s completely relevant:
Now if only more people could follow suit and understand this. Just because gay people are gay doesn’t mean it’s going to affect you. It’s a pretty simple concept. OPEN YOUR MINDS.
And now, Day 5: What are 5 things that make you happy right now?
1. Is it creepy and ridiculous to say HNI? Because I can’t even lie about that one. I mean honestly. Sometimes people just walk into your life and light it up like a ten million fireflies.
2. My newest stations on Pandora. (Alexandra Stan and *NSYNC)
3. MY RUBY RED HAIR. I LOOK LIKE A FOX! We have mirrors that take up the length of our bathroom and while I was in there earlier I thought about how my dad always calls me a vulpe (fox) when I dye my hair in Romanian and that it’s kind of true.
4. The thought that there’s only 2 weeks left of classes and then SPRING BREAK!!! Although the former part is kind of a little scary. So much work to do!
5. Easter preparations beginning in my house. My mom made 2 desserts today. I gotta cook/bake things tomorrow and Saturday. And I have to do kistka eggs. Among final projects for school. I might pass out.